NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
Effective April 14, 2003
THIS NOTICE DETAILS HOW YOUR MEDICAL INFORMATION MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN ACCESS THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY AS ASSURANCE FOR YOUR SAFETY AND SECURITY AS WELL AS FOR OUR ACCOUNTABILITY AND TRANSPARENCY.
In compliance with the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 or HIPAA, Anclote Pharmacy has created this Notice of Privacy Practices. This notice describes Anclote Pharmacy’s private practices and the rights that every client has related to the privacy of their Protected Health Information (PHI).
Your PHI is information about you, or that could be used to identify you, as it relates to your past and present physical and mental health care services. HIPAA regulations require that our pharmacy protect the privacy of your PHI in all transactions. This pharmacy will abide by the terms presented within this notice. For any uses or disclosures that are not listed below, we will first secure your written authorization, which you have full rights to revoke at any time.
The pharmacy reserves the right to change our privacy practices and this notice. We will post any revisions to the notice in the pharmacy and upon your request, provided to you in paper format.
HOW THE PHARMACY MAY USE AND DISCLOSE YOUR PHI
The following is an accounting of the ways that our pharmacy is permitted, by law, to use and disclose your PHI:
- For Treatment: We will use your PHI to fill your prescription and coordinate or manage your health care.
- For Payment: Anclote Pharmacy will disclose your PHI to obtain payment or reimbursements from your health care insurance providers.
- For Health Care Operations: Anclote Pharmacy will use your PHI to conduct quality assessments, improvement activities, and evaluate our workforce’s performance.
The following details additional ways in which Anclote Pharmacy is permitted or required to use or disclose your PHI WITHOUT your written authorization:
- As required by law: Anclote Pharmacy is required to use and disclose PHI about you as required and as limited by law.
- For public health activities: Anclote Pharmacy may use or disclose your PHI to a public health authority authorized by law to collect for the purpose of preventing and controlling disease, injury, or disability.
- About victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence: We may use or disclose your PHI to government authorities if it is reasonably believed you are a victim of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
- For health oversight activities: Anclote Pharmacy may use or disclose your PHI to a health oversight agency for oversight activities it conducts as authorized by law.
- For judicial and administrative proceedings: Anclote Pharmacy may disclose your PHI in the course of any judicial or administrative proceedings so long as proper documentation is presented to the pharmacy.
- For law enforcement purposes: Anclote Pharmacy may disclose your PHI to law enforcement officials for authorized purposes.
- About the deceased: Anclote Pharmacy may disclose PHI about a deceased person or before and in reasonable anticipation of an individual’s death to coroners, medical examiners, and funeral directors.
- For cadaveric organ, eye or tissue donation purposes: Anclote Pharmacy may use and disclose PHI for the purpose of procurement, banking, or transplantation of cadaveric organs, eyes, or tissues for donation.
- For research purposes: Anclote Pharmacy may use and disclose your PHI for research purposes, but only with a valid authorization waiver approved by an institutional review board or a privacy board. Otherwise, we will request a signed authorization by the individual for all other research purposes.
- To avert serious threats to health or safety: Anclote Pharmacy may use or disclose PHI about you, if it is believed in good faith, and is consistent with any applicable law and standards of ethical conduct, to avert a serious health or safety threats.
- For specialized government functions: Anclote Pharmacy may use or disclose your PHI for specialized government functions, including military and veteran’s activities, national security and intelligence, protective services, department of state functions, and correctional institutions and law enforcement custodial situations.
- For workers’ compensation: Anclote Pharmacy may disclose your PHI as authorized by and to the extent necessary to comply with workers’ compensation laws.